- About Us
- International Nurses Day 2020
- State of the World’s Nursing report
- COVID-19 Resources
- Continuing Nursing Education CNE - Goodfellow Unit
- Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Template
- CNA(NZ) Press Releases
- Endorsement Application Form
- Guidelines and Professional Position statements
- Healthy People Healthy Planet
- Interim Report of the Health & Disability System Review
- Links of Interest
- Managing Bullying & Fostering Health Work In Nursing
- National Nursing Consortium
- National Nursing Leaders Group Repository
- Understanding bias - Wiki Haumaru Tūroro | Patient Safety Week 2019
- Ngā aratohu maimoa hauwarea | Frailty care guides
- Nursing Praxis in NZ
- Primary Health Care Resources
- Professional Support Guides
- Self Employment
- Te Puawai - Read Online
- Te Puawai Archives
- NPNZ Conference 2019
- Meet the Executive
- Terms of Reference
- Members List
- MoH Primary Care Program (Mental Health & Addictions)
- Join NPNZ
- NPNZ Forum
- NPNZ Executive Forum
- What is a NP?
- Do you want to become an NP in New Zealand?
- Information for Employers
- Supervisors for NP Interns Resource Toolkit
- Examples of NP Job Descriptions & Business Case Proposals
- NP Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions for NPs
- NPNZ Minutes -members only
- NPNZ Useful Documents
- Job Vacancies
- Conferences & Events
- Social Media
- Nursing Praxis
Mental Health & Addiction Update - 2 March 2020on 3 March
I know that you will all have COVID-19 at the forefronts of your minds. The Ministry of Health is providing regular updates on this emerging situation. Please check the Ministry of Health website for the latest information.
As we form our new team, we’re working to improve the way we engage with Specialist Services at a district level so we have a good understanding of what’s working well, and where the challenges are. This will mean we’re able to share the highlights and learnings and be able to provide practical help and advice.
One of the new members of the Mental Health and Addiction Senior Leadership team is Toni Gutschlag who has joined us as Group Manager, Specialist Mental Health Services. Toni was previously the General Manager of Specialist Mental Health Services in Canterbury DHB and has worked in a range of areas including planning and funding and projects, she commenced her career as a social worker.
Toni, John Crawshaw, Director Mental Health, Arran Culver, Chief Clinical Advisor, and Toni Dal Din, Deputy Director Mental Health were recently in Hawkes Bay to meet with a number of people from across the DHB including the CEO, members of the executive team and a number of clinical leaders.
Two weeks ago our team visited the MidCentral DHB and involved NGO specialist services including peer support, iwi providers, community mental health and addiction providers and primary care.
The different approach that was taken in this sector visit allowed for a range of views to be shared about concerns, highlights and opportunities.
Our team will continue to come and visit DHB teams and is really enjoying the opportunity to listen to feedback and problem solve in person. Thank you to Hawkes Bay and MidCentral for hosting these recent visits.
We look forward to hearing more from other regions over the coming months.
Just a reminder that the Youth RFP closes at midday on Monday, 9 March. Proposals are very welcome from NGOS, PHOs, DHBs, companies and any other legal entities. If you are proposing to expand an existing service and/or replicate a service then we do request a letter of support from your DHB (if this is possible within the timeframe – the Ministry reserves the right to seek this during the due diligence process if your Proposal is shortlisted). Otherwise you do not need to submit your proposal via your DHB. There is more information available on GETS.
Ngā mihi nui,
Deputy Director-General, Mental Health & Addiction.
Click here to view full update