- About Us
- International Nurses Day 2020
- State of the World’s Nursing report
- COVID-19 Resources
- Continuing Nursing Education CNE - Goodfellow Unit
- Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) Template
- CNA(NZ) Press Releases
- Endorsement Application Form
- Guidelines and Professional Position statements
- Healthy People Healthy Planet
- Interim Report of the Health & Disability System Review
- Links of Interest
- Managing Bullying & Fostering Health Work In Nursing
- National Nursing Consortium
- National Nursing Leaders Group Repository
- Understanding bias - Wiki Haumaru Tūroro | Patient Safety Week 2019
- Ngā aratohu maimoa hauwarea | Frailty care guides
- Nursing Praxis in NZ
- Professional Support Guides
- Self Employment
- Te Puawai - Read Online
- Te Puawai Archives
- NPNZ Conference 2019
- Meet the Executive
- Social Media
- Terms of Reference
- Members List
- NPNZ Forum
- NPNZ Executive Forum
- What is a NP?
- Do you want to become an NP in New Zealand?
- Information for Employers
- Supervisors for NP Interns Resource Toolkit
- Examples of NP Job Descriptions & Business Case Proposals
- NP Resources
- Frequently Asked Questions for NPs
- NPNZ Minutes -members only
- NPNZ Useful Documents
- Job Vacancies
- Conferences & Events
- Join NPNZ
- Nursing Praxis
Abortion Legislation Updateon 19 March
Abortion legislation update
The Abortion Legislation Bill had its Third Reading yesterday and was voted through. It will now be prepared for Royal assent (Governor-General signing). The Act comes into force the day after Royal assent. This usually happens within one week.
This legislative amendment updates the primary legislation for abortion, set out in the Contraception, Sterilisation, and Abortion Act 1977 and the Crimes Act 1961. The legislation is available on the New Zealand Parliament website.
Information about key changes
The Ministry will use its website to inform stakeholders about key changes that will result from the legislation. Once the Act comes into force the following web pages will be available:
· Information for health practitioners https://health.govt.nz/our-work/regulation-health-and-disability-system/abortion-legislation-information-health-practitioners
· Information for the public https://health.govt.nz/abortion
Abortion service providers are required to provide a notification of each abortion performed.
For abortions performed prior to the enactment date, please continue to complete and submit the Abortion Supervisory Committee paper-based form in the usual manner.
For abortions performed on or after the enactment date, notifications should be provided to the Ministry of Health , and a new form is required. Please email email@example.com if you are an abortion service provider and require access to the new notification forms.
If you have any queries you can contact the Abortion Law Reform Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Ministry of Health’s Abortion Information line on 0800 499 500.
We’d appreciate if you pass this message on to all you think may benefit from it. If you receive this message indirectly but would like to receive updates regularly, please email email@example.com
We appreciate your commitment to ensure the intent of the legislation is implemented as soon as practical.
The Abortion Law Reform Team